Today was semiproductive. I started off with a simple test to see if the proper motions I'd calculated for the star particles was right: I added the components together (vector-wise), that would give the magnitude of the total proper motion. Another easy way to get this is to take the total velocity and subtract off the radial velocity (again, vector-wise). These should give the same numbers, but unfortunately do not. I spent most of the morning finding little problems with my definitions of each component, but this didn't seem to help. In the afternoon I emailed Adi and Beth for help, but so far there's still a (fairly large) discrepancy.
I also read through the manual for StarFISH (available here: http://www.noao.edu/staff/jharris/SFH/) and am going to start playing with it and seeing what's what.
On the astronomy side of things, I looked through ADS for some papers on absolute magnitudes of BHB, RR Lyrae and RGB stars. I found a couple that could be valuable and am reading through them now. I'm glad I have something to balance the computational side of things right now, because otherwise I'd go mad from all of the debugging. But now that I'm getting absolute magnutudes for tracer stars, I can start plugging them in with the estimated errors for the LSST and make some proper motion plots (once I get that straightened out).